at a practice that I was invited to by Mr. Lubick. I walked in feeling as confident as ever because I was used to being the tallest and most talented basketball player from my town. However, this mindset changed when I entered the gym. I entered seeing two 6’8 and 6’9 kids who seemed to be attempting to rip the rim down on every dunk they threw down. On top of them I saw a kid that was no taller than me throwing down windmill and 360 dunks with ease. At this time I had just dunked for the first time like two weeks before my visit, so the sight of these kids that could do things I always dreamed of doing on the court was rather intimidating to see. I knew that I was in no way ready for this type of competition. This lead to me deciding to repeat my 8th grade year at the Fay School in order to give me time to improve academically and athletically. Ever since my first experience walking into St. Mark's gym, I have made it my mission to prepare and never be intimidated like that again. Now in my fourth year, I can say that I achieved that goal throughout my 4 years.
Saturday, March 14, 2015
Intimidation
The first time I laid eyes on the St. Mark's MFAC was five years ago...
at a practice that I was invited to by Mr. Lubick. I walked in feeling as confident as ever because I was used to being the tallest and most talented basketball player from my town. However, this mindset changed when I entered the gym. I entered seeing two 6’8 and 6’9 kids who seemed to be attempting to rip the rim down on every dunk they threw down. On top of them I saw a kid that was no taller than me throwing down windmill and 360 dunks with ease. At this time I had just dunked for the first time like two weeks before my visit, so the sight of these kids that could do things I always dreamed of doing on the court was rather intimidating to see. I knew that I was in no way ready for this type of competition. This lead to me deciding to repeat my 8th grade year at the Fay School in order to give me time to improve academically and athletically. Ever since my first experience walking into St. Mark's gym, I have made it my mission to prepare and never be intimidated like that again. Now in my fourth year, I can say that I achieved that goal throughout my 4 years.
at a practice that I was invited to by Mr. Lubick. I walked in feeling as confident as ever because I was used to being the tallest and most talented basketball player from my town. However, this mindset changed when I entered the gym. I entered seeing two 6’8 and 6’9 kids who seemed to be attempting to rip the rim down on every dunk they threw down. On top of them I saw a kid that was no taller than me throwing down windmill and 360 dunks with ease. At this time I had just dunked for the first time like two weeks before my visit, so the sight of these kids that could do things I always dreamed of doing on the court was rather intimidating to see. I knew that I was in no way ready for this type of competition. This lead to me deciding to repeat my 8th grade year at the Fay School in order to give me time to improve academically and athletically. Ever since my first experience walking into St. Mark's gym, I have made it my mission to prepare and never be intimidated like that again. Now in my fourth year, I can say that I achieved that goal throughout my 4 years.