Saturday, March 14, 2015

Now and Then



As I am nearing the end of my time at St. Mark's, I often reflect back on earlier times and reminisce on memories made in years prior. In the fall of 2011, my classmates and I started as Freshman. The year of 2015 seemed so far away and almost was an idea instead of a reality.



Now, it is the year 2015, and I can finally see the light at the end of the tunnel. It is no longer an idea but has turned into something that is going to happen, whether we as a class want it to or not. When looking back on my time at St. Mark's, I often think of freshman year, as it highlights the excitement of entering a new school and the innocence associated with everything being new. I clearly re-call my revisit day, when I had just finished the last class of the day. My mom had told me to meet her at the front of the school, where the circle was located. As I was walking down the math stairs, I remember seeing girls in skirts and dresses. I was perplexed as to why these girls were wearing skirts and dresses when there was still snow on the ground outside. Now, I have turned into one of those girls. Living in the main building definitely has its perks.

I walked with confidence down the math stairs, positive that I was headed in the right direction. I took every turn with certainty that it would lead me to where I wanted to go. It wasn't until I reached the PAC that I thought I might not be going in the right direction. I hadn't even entered high school yet, and I was already the stereotypical freshman lost in the school. I asked a passing student to help me get to the front circle. As it was revisit day, I was still trying to decide whether or not I wanted to go to St. Mark's. This particular student confirmed by interest in St. Mark's, and she was what sold me on coming to SM. She was clearly on her way to somewhere else, but realized my helplessness and was eager to help. She chatted with me about a bunch of topics and as we reached the front circle she bid me farewell and wished me luck in the whole process.

As I walked with my mom back to the car, she said, "What did you think?" I replied with, "I think this one's it."

Looking back on this moment, I find myself thinking, "How could you ever get lost in a school so small as St. Mark's?"What is a place of comfort for me now, used to be a place of uncertainty. The past four years, I've made memories in each of the buildings of SM surrounded by both classmates and faculty. I'm excited to move on from St. Mark's with these memories and make new ones at wherever I end up this next fall.