Saturday, March 14, 2015

The Sunday Trek





I remember driving up to the front circle before I even applied to St. Mark’s, stepping up on the curb, and wondering if this place would become some part of my future someday. In this moment, there was so many questions, so little knowledge of what this school was and if it was right for me, but I still took a step up onto the curb, facing St. Mark’s head on. I did not think much of this simple step at the time, but after two years have passed, the curb has become an important barrier in my life that I face every single Sunday evening.
My family is one of the most important parts of my life - it consists of the people that I fight for, love, and could not live without. Having two brothers, a sister, and two loving parents, I do not think that I could ask for anything else. Because I have such a wonderful family and because they mean so much to me, I go home every weekend without hesitation. I call home every other night, I text my family and friends throughout the day, but still, I am almost always homesick. I travel home for a night on the weekends, but in the blink of an eye, I am sitting in a car and driving back to the front circle of St. Mark’s. My dad parks the car, turns to me and says, “Have a good week, Sammy. I love you. I am so proud of you.” I smile, tell him I love him, and hope that he safely travels home in the dark night. Every weekend, over and over, I step out of the car and approach the curb. Though in reality the step is extremely small, it is a huge barrier for me, because I know that when I step up onto the curb and make the long trek to the door, I am stepping away from my family. Yet every weekend, I break through this obstacle because I repeat my dad’s words over and over again and know that next weekend, I will see my family again, even if it is only for a night. My dad does not know it, but his words push me to be a better person, give my one hundred percent effort in everything I do, and cherish every single moment at this school and with my family.