Have you ever wanted something so bad that you were nervous just thinking about? If so then you will understand what the dorm lottery my junior year was like for me. Since the beginning of my junior year, I had my eyes set on only one dorm: Theriot. I had never lived in Theriot before and I knew that many of my friends were planning on living their too. When it was our turned to pick which dorm we wanted to live in, there was only one spot left in Theriot and with a smile we chose that dorm.
As I arrived on campus and walked towards the Theriot entrance I knew that it was going to be the best year that I would have at St. Mark’s. As I opened the dorm to my new room, I could instantly tell that the rooms were bigger due to the spacing of all the furniture and I could tell they were nicer because the dorm had only been around for a few years. After my first few weeks in the dorm, I started to make close bonds with my dorm parents. They would invite me over to have dinner with them and their families, they would ask me to babysit their children, and they would be my ears when I needed to talk. The Theriot common room proved to be greater than what anyone had told me. In the Theriot great room, I have made friendships with people that I may not have necessarily been friends with if we did not live in the same building. I spend my Saturday nights in the common room playing ping pong with many of my friends. I have also had very intellectual and difficult conversations with many of my friends, there. I have had in depth conversations with teachers and have also received academic help from them in this room. I have fallen asleep on the couch cuddling one of my dorm heads dogs. Many things that have made me who I am today have started in that common room. Many of the friendships that developed in the great room are friendships that will last for a very long time. The teachers and their children have touched me in ways that I will never forget. St. Mark’s is full of places that are special to people. Mine happens to be a space that is accompanied by many other people.However, it has truly made my last year at St. Mark’s quite special.